Directions to the Department
The Department is located on the northern edge of the Amherst (north) campus in the Ellicott Complex, between Audubon Parkway and Frontier Road.
Choose the appropriate set of instructions below.
From the Peace Bridge, take the I-190 north, the I-290 east, and turn right onto the I-990 (you can only go north). Continue with Part II of the instructions.
From the east:
From the I-90 westbound, take the I-290 north, and turn right onto the I-990 (you can only go north). Continue with Part II of the instructions.
From the west:
From the I-90 eastbound, take the I-290 north (do not rejoin the toll road part of the I-90 to Albany), then turn right onto the I-990 (you can only go north). Continue with Part II of the instructions.
- Turn off the I-990 at the first exit.
- The campus consists of two clusters of buildings - the central main academic "Spine", the southern business/ maintenance area, and the northern Ellicott Complex - surrounded by three "rings" of roads.
- Once off the ramp, you are on John James Audubon Parkway (a divided roadway) and headed south.
- Get in the left-hand lane, make a U-turn at the first light (Rensch Road). You can stay in the left lane.
- Go past the first intersection, the flashing yellow crosswalk and over a small bridge.
- Turn left at the second stoplight onto Frontier Road. Right away you will see a strange, red brick complex on your left through the trees, rather like a Leggo habitrail. That is the Ellicott (dormitory and academic) Complex.
- Take your first left (the parking lot is on your right and a small lake is to your left).
- Proceed right up to a small circle; you will see paid parking spaces on your left. (Watch for buses exiting the service tunnel immediately in front of you.)
- Park, enter the service tunnel and walk until you come to the first set of glass doors on your left. If you cannot find a space there, you can park in any of the main parking lots. But from 8:00 to 3:00pm Monday through Friday, you will need a "guest" parking tag which you can get from the department.
- Go through the doors and you will find a door immediately to your right. Go through that door and up the stairs to the to the third (top) floor. Turn left and the Department will be immediately to your left.
Get directions from UB Explorer, the UB Visitor's Guide
Download a high-resolution [north campus] map (Adobe Acrobat PDF)